TikTok Advertising Policies – Industry Entry
1. Prohibited Products or Services
In adherence with varying laws and cultures, different countries might have different products and services that are prohibited for advertising. Please refer to the specific target country or territory for more information. Do note that the list of countries or territories and the guidelines will be updated in accordance with local laws and requirements from time to time.
In general, TikTok prohibits the advertising of the following industry and trade:
Animals, animal parts or products
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of or facilitation of access to animals including live animals, livestock, pets, carcasses, animal parts or products.
- Animal, animal body parts or products derived:
- Any live animals
- Animals listed as endangered, vulnerable, or threatened
- Animal product or parts derived from but not limited to:
- Horns, bones, teeth, and tusks
- Skin, fur, feathers, hair, scales, fins, and wool
- Offals, fats, and fluids
- Products for animals (toys, clothes, collars, cages, food, etc).
- Pet services such as dog walking, pet care, pet cafes, pet grooming, training, etc.
- Advertising content related to the adoption of animals is permitted for NGOs, NPOs, and animal shelters. However, the promotion, sale, or solicitation of or facilitation of access to:
- Adoption of pedigree or purebred pets is prohibited.
- Cross-breeding of pets is prohibited.
- Animal, animal body parts or products derived:
Adult sexual products, services, and entertainment
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to pornographic material, sex toys and supplies such as lubricants, fetish or sexual fantasy costumes.
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to adult entertainment (host/hostess clubs, strip-club), sexual services (escort services, prostitution, erotic massages), or any of such.
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to dating apps or services that convey, imply, portray, or encourage transactional relationship, infidelity, sexual encounters or any of such.
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to the enhancement of sexual performance, pleasure, or bodily appearance, in the form of drugs, medications, tools, devices, or any of such products or services. For example, penis enlargement, breast enhancement.
Casinos and gambling games
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to casinos, gambling activities, sports betting, fantasy sports, lotteries, whether it is an online website or a physical establishment, where there is money cashing-in or cashing-out.
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to:
- Free credits, vouchers, coupons, in any form including printed or digital codes, for use in casinos and gambling games.
- Websites, software, products or services that facilitate or drive traffic to casinos and gambling games or its related content including odds calculator, tips and tricks, rules and strategies, hot-picks or forecasts.
- Games of luck or chance, such as scratch-off games, bingo, or any other similar games or apps that could result in monetary or valuable prize gain.
- Tools, instruments, devices, props, or any other accessories or supplies, for use in casinos and gambling games.
Cigarettes and tobacco products
- Promotion, sale, or solicitation of, or facilitation of access to cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, e-cigarettes or any other alternatives to smoking or consumption of tobacco.
- Promotion, sale, or solicitation of smoking paraphernalia, including smoking pipes, rolling papers, filters, vaporizer or any other device, equipment or apparatus designed for smoking.
- Promoting site, venue, or facility for smoking or consumption of tobacco, including cigar bars, hookah lounges, or any other setting for similar purposes.
Counterfeiting and piracy
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to counterfeit products, replicas, imitations including pirated digital products without authorizations of the brand owner or trademark owner. This include:
- Non-genuine products passing off as genuine goods of the brand owner or trademark owner.
- Products described as replicas, imitations, or any of such.
Drugs and paraphernalia
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to illegal drugs, controlled drugs, prescription drugs (prohibited in some markets), drugs for the purpose of recreation, homeopathy, enhancement, performance, including weight loss.
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to drug paraphernalia, or accessories or supplies any of such.
- Promotion of or facilitation of access to unauthorized drugstores, pharmacies, or dispensaries.
- Depiction of or featuring drug use, drug abuse or prescription drug abuse.
- Depiction of or featuring drugs-related words, symbols, or images, whether in the form of visual or audio content, or any of such.
Police/military gears and equipment
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to police or military uniforms, vests, handcuffs, batons, boots, or any of such accessories, equipments, or supplies.
- Promotion, reference, or opposition of:
- A candidate for public office
- A current or former political leader, political party, or political organization.
- Content that advocates a stance (for or against) on a local, state, or federal issue of public importance in order to influence a political decision or outcome. Cause-based advertising or public service announcements from non-profit organization or government agencies may be allowed, if not driven by partisan political motives. In order to be approved, the advertiser must be actively working with a TikTok Sales Representative.
Unacceptable Business Practices
- Promotion, sale, or solicitation of or facilitation of access to products or services that might be or are considered deceptive, misleading, or unlawful such as:
- Unlawfully circumventing technical or other access restrictions to infringe intellectual or other property rights.
- Identity theft or stealing of any personal information, including through the use of malware, spyware, or any unauthorized or unlawful means of obtaining information.
- Document falsification, forgery, counterfeiting, or any of such.
- Making deceptive claims, omitting information on fees, charges and tariffs, proposing harmful business models, or any of such.
Unsuitable Businesses, Products, or Services
- Abortion services
- Funeral services
- Hazardous chemical products
- Human organ or human tissue trading, transplanting, or any of such.
- Modelling or influencer recruitment opportunities
- Pre-natal sex determination
- Any other businesses, products, or services that are highly controversial, distasteful, violent, or dangerous would be deemed as incompatible with TikTok Ads platform. This includes ads that refers to a sensitive event or topic (e.g. deaths, natural/industrial disasters, violent attacks, civil disorder, etc.) and contains any of the following: personal attacks, hashtag appropriation, the selling of goods/services, political campaigning, solicitation of followers, or other inappropriate content.
Weaponry and weapon parts
- Promotion, sale, solicitation of, or facilitation of access to weapons that could be used to harm individuals or for self-defense including:
- Blades, knives, and any of such sharp objects.
- Explosives, flammables, or combustibles including bombs and bomb-making supplies, flamethrowers, fireworks, or any other of such.
- Guns, gun parts, and ammunition including paintball guns, BB guns.
- Batons, nunchucks, taser guns, pepper spray, or any of such self defense weapons.
2. Restricted Products or Services
Should the advertiser be qualified and compliant with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, TikTok may allow the advertising of restricted products or services at our discretion. The advertiser is responsible for the contents advertised, including the product or services promoted. The advertiser should also ensure that appropriate and necessary legal requirements for the sale and advertisement of these restricted products or services are met and obtained. Please refer to the specific target country or territory for more information. Do note that the list of countries or territories, the guidelines, and the list of restricted products and services, are not exhaustive and will be updated in accordance with local laws and requirements from time to time.
It is important to note that the possession of a license or any other legal business right does not guarantee the acceptance of your TikTok Ads. All TikTok Ads are subject to our Ad Review Process
Note: Please take a look at this article to learn more about the restrictions and rules.